Able & Tireless

The Wonderful World of Cable & Wireless Software Developers

Able & Tireless Home | Contact

Thursday, November 27, 2003

The complex rating project is all about rating traffic from one carrier to another in a sophisticated manner - being able to say use a rate of x for traffic up to volume i between dates a and b for weekend timeband, then use rate y for traffic between volume i and j between dates a and b for evening timeband and so on and so forth. I've spent the last few months writing the front end to capture the logic of the ratings that need to be done. I've done very little work on the back end that takes the actual traffic and applies the rates entered. Therefore it was pretty stupid of me to agree to demo the front end to some developers who are writing another application that will hang off the back end. All they cared about was the actual calculations that are done with the figures. I'm not entirely sure they cared how the rate data got into the system. After my umpteenth use of the phrase "I'm sorry I don't know", I was wishing the floor would open and swallow me up. So, note to self - always always always prepare for demos. And if you're not the right man for the job, say something before you get into the room.


Comments: Post a Comment