Able & Tireless

The Wonderful World of Cable & Wireless Software Developers

Able & Tireless Home | Contact

Friday, November 28, 2003

The wiki. I think I'm going wiki-crazy, but I'm pushing forward with my plan on trying to get other teams to use it with me. So far, I've come up against a massive wall of resistance, but I'm fighting through it. People are scared of change I guess, even if its a good idea. This is the sort of thing I've been getting back from people who I've asked to use it:

"i cannot knowingly contribute to competing dmses or I will get it in the neck. I think it's cool that you guys have somewhere to store your important knowledge and the system is better than others, but i cannot contribute cos as soon as i get found out i will get told in no uncertain terms about what i should have done. this is exactly what my team does, stamp down on competing information sources.

I would like to use other systems, but i just cannot at the moment and as soon as xxxxx, xxx, xxxxxx, xxxxx xxxxx, etc find out about it, you will be asked to turn it off, so please do not ask me to use it or let any of my team (or others that might pass it on) see the system. it will just get ugly. i think it is great that you guys use it cos you have a lot of knowledge that you need to share with each other but the corporate standards monster will stamp on it as soon as they see it as competition for any system they have spent 000's on."

You see the problem? The point is that its not a competing system. Its just somewhere to post information, as and when you think of it. What I don't understand is that this guy is being asked by his boss to collate information on the cms in what I assume is a word doc. Now, how easy would it be, if we used the wiki, for him to just copy and paste whats on there, straight into the word doc. Bit of formatting if thats your thing, and Richard is your father's brother. I do not know how people can be so scared of a meaningless hierarchy that they won't even try something.

I'm pushing on with it anyway, having now got my boss's agreement that its a good plan, and now telling everyone "Its not a competing system, its a totally different thing" just so we don't get any more of this nonsense.

We'll see how it goes.


Comments: Post a Comment